Today technology is taking center stage in most home appliances or devices. A majority of homeowners are adopting smart home-related devices in their homes. Smart switches are the recent home-related automated devices capturing most homeowners’ attention. These automated devices are cost-effective and more reliable than traditional manual appliances. This post intends to guide you through the benefits of an intelligent switch and how it works.
How Smart Switches Work
An intelligent switch can be controlled remotely while commanding all appliances or devices connected to it. You can choose to operate an intelligent switch through a smart app or voice commands. Alternatively, you can opt to control your smart switch by connecting it to your home Wi-Fi network and flipping the switch on and off remotely or through voice assistants.
Intelligent smart switches can also function as traditional light switches while at the same time accepting remote operation. This way, the automated switch meets the varying preferences on how to utilize it. Also, they come in different shapes and sizes meaning you can choose your favorite.
Whereas there are benefits of using automated switches, it is essential to note the following features that come with them.
- Voice-enables control- ideally, you can remotely voice command an intelligent switch with the assistance of Google Home, Amazon Echo, or home speakers.
- Programmable timing- this feature allows you to automate your switch to operate at a particular time of the day. For instance, you can set lights on and off at specific times.
- Mood lighting corresponds to the current activity and the mood around it. You may want to set your lights to favor your movies session or studies.
- Remote monitor and control. An automated switch allows you to regulate your home temperatures while away from your house. You can remotely command it through smart apps.
- Integration with other smart home devices. This feature allows you to integrate intelligent switches with other smart home devices like smart home bulbs and have one command center for all smart home devices.
- They can be installed in homes with or without a neutral wire to the switchbox.
Benefits of Smart Light Switches
Even though automated switches are more expensive than traditional light switches, they offer high quality and better services. Some of the benefits are
An intelligent switch accepts a remote-control system. This makes it more flexible and convenient since the command can be made from anywhere and at any time. When you are away from home, you can conveniently monitor your home security by turning the lights on at night and off during the day.
These switches can be programmed to give a dim lighting environment for watching movies. You can set your switch to adjust the lighting system based on the activity.
Most intelligent switches can incorporate more than one device to improve lighting and have a more convenient device command center. For example, intelligent light switches can be integrated with air conditioners, allowing you to control the air conditioner remotely.
Many intelligent switches can be connected to home security devices such as alarms, motion sensors, and video doorbells. This integration makes monitoring your home’s security situations while away remotely accessible and convenient.
Generally, automated switches consume less energy making them cost-effective devices. Additionally, regulating your home devices from one command center can result in less energy consumption and the end of each month.
Smart Switches vs. Smart Bulbs
The installation of smart bulbs is the same as the traditional light bulb; only that smart bulb accepts remote commanding. Whereas intelligent light switches are meant to make controlling of house light system more convenient, intelligent bulbs may not require a switch to operate.
Nevertheless, with a proper recommendation from a qualified electrician, some intelligent switches can perfectly work with smart bulbs. Smart bulbs come in multi colors, which can interchange simultaneously. Additionally, smart bulbs can be controlled via voice commands like intelligent light switches.