Introduction: What is PSM Certification?
PSM, which stands for “Professional Scrum Master,” is the designation for professionals who can operate in a Scrum setting. The professional Scrum Master program is also intended for people who are already working in an Agile environment and are looking for ways to improve their processes. Obtaining the Professional Scrum Master certification enables you to evaluate your knowledge and gain authorized admission in a Scrum setting.
Who is a PSM?: Roles and Responsibilities
A Professional Scrum Master oversees the Scrum process and performs a cross-functional job. This person is also responsible for ensuring that the team collaborates and resolves any problems that may develop along the process.
The following are the main duties of a Scrum master:
- Fill the gap between the product management team and the development team.
- Manage the team’s organization and progress.
- Remove obstacles from the route and remove distractions from the teams’ workspace.
- Establish credibility to guide the group.
Eligibility for a PSM Certification: Who Can Get a PSM Certification?
Those participating in the development and delivery of products using the Scrum framework are among the candidates who meet the PSM eligibility requirements for the training and exam. This course will be helpful for those who are new to Scrum or want to pursue a career in Scrum.
Here are the simple steps to becoming a Professional Scrum Master (PSM):
- Participate in 16 hours of PSM training online with a PST (Professional Scrum Trainer). Attending a course is not required, however, it is advised because it will help you refresh your Scrum expertise.
- Attend the PSM exam online and achieve a score of 85% in the allotted one hour.
Why the PSM Certification?
A Professional Scrum Master is a professional who understands how to efficiently control e workflow, develop motivated and intelligent teams, and handle complicated tasks all while fostering a collaborative project environment that encourages productivity and maximizes commercial value. In other words, a Professional Scrum Master promotes project success in high-performing Scrum teams by enabling value in Scrum teams.
A PSM certification confirms the holder’s knowledge of Agile and Scrum methods and makes them ready for working in the real world. The PSM certification is highly regarded in the Scrum community and is a widely recognized certificate that may be used in various fields and industries. A successful PSM possesses an in-depth knowledge of Agile software development processes and unrivaled skill in Scrum and its implementations. With the highly regarded PSM certification, you can more effectively lead your team while also improving your understanding of the leadership role it involves.
- Makes Your Resume Stand Out
When applying for Scrum master positions, sending a generic resume will not be sufficient. The HR department reviews hundreds of resumes, and only the finest ones are given a second look.
Since an increasing number of employers are automating the hiring process using Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), it’s possible that no one will even read your resume. This indicates that your resume needs to be enhanced in order to stand out from the competition.
- Develops a Solid Scrum Foundation
1. The most effective method for learning Scrum is to obtain a Scrum certification. It helps you learn the fundamentals, Agile principles, and best practices in an efficient manner. It will make it easier for newbies to comprehend the Scrum framework.
2. Even seasoned Scrum practitioners can learn ground-breaking practices that will help them navigate the hurdles of leading numerous departments and huge Scrum teams.
- Increases the Effectiveness of Your Team
You can improve the effectiveness of the team with PSM certification. The PSM certification will help you navigate through Scrum processes and enable you to lead your team in effective application of Scrum practices in your organization.
- Improve Your Risk Assessment Techniques
By learning the Scrum methodology, you may anticipate events and problems as they arise and identify risks and hazards before they become serious problems.
- Provide Value and Ensure Product Quality
You can learn the nuances of providing value and ensuring product quality with the help of Scrum certification.
- Higher Compensation than Non-Certified Professionals
1. According to Payscale, the average yearly income of a PSM-Certified Professional is $97,000.
2. According to AmbitionBox, the average yearly pay of a PSM-Certified Professional in India is Rs 14,70,000.
How to Become a PSM?
The applicant must sign up for the PSM course being provided by a Registered Education Provider connected to Scrum.org. Following enrollment, the candidate is required to attend the PSTs’ 16 hours of intense training. Scrum.org emails the candidates their exam access password following the training. The exam consists of 80 questions, including true-false, and multiple-choice questions. The test is an open -book, and the candidate has one hour to finish it. To pass the test and get their PSM certification, candidates must respond correctly to 68 of the 80 questions (85%). Once obtained, the certificate is good for the person’s entire life and doesn’t need to be renewed.
Professional Scrum Master Syllabus
Based on the various levels, the subjects included in the Professional Scrum Master Exam slightly vary. The topics covered in the PSM exam are mentioned below:
1. Understanding and Applying the Scrum Framework
- Scrum Values
- Agile Team
2. Developing People and Teams
- Autonomous Teams
- Leadership Techniques
3. Managing Products with Agility
- Product Backlog Management
- Customers and Stakeholders
4. Developing and Delivering Products Professionally
- Technical Risk Management
5. Evolving the Agile Organization
- Organizational Culture & Design
What is the Cost of the PSM Certification?
The following are the costs of PSM certification:
- Foundational (PSM I): It costs $150 to take the professional scrum master certification exam.
- Intermediate (PSM II): The cost of the PSM II exam is $250.
- Advanced (PSM III): The cost of the PSM II exam is $500.
What are the Benefits of Getting a PSM Certification?
The following are the benefits of PSM certification:
- Solid Base of Scrum Knowledge
A Scrum certification is the best way to learn Scrum. It aids in your effective acquisition of the fundamentals, Agile concepts, and best Agile practices. It will assist beginners in fully comprehending the Scrum framework. Even Scrum professionals with prior experience can give you a ground-breaking understanding that will help them surpass challenges while leading seizeablesizeable Scrum teams and various departments.
- Change of Mindset
The key to an effective Agile transformation is having an Agile mindset. To develop into an experienced Scrum Master, one prerequisite is having the capacity to think, change, and act in response to fast-changing circumstances.
- You Will Stay Marketable and Relevant
Professional Scrum Master training not only demonstrates your expertise in the subject but also aids in promoting yourself to upper management and your fellow employees. It demonstrates your depth of Agile knowledge, which is valuable for any firm that practices Agile. With this certification, you will be able to advance your career in any organization that uses agile practices.
- Benefits Your Organization
An organization using Scrum techniques must have an effective Scrum master. Pursuing Scrum Master certification may be advantageous if you work for a company that employs Scrum methodologies. A certification indicates your in-depth research and expertise in scrum management techniques.
- Work Effectively with Your Peers
It is simpler for you to manage your tasks when you are working with coworkers who are familiar with the Scrum process. For managing the Agile project, you will be able to make the most of your expertise and comprehension of the Scrum.
- You Can Influence Your Organization
The candidate gains recognition in their organization by earning a CSM certification and influencing his teammates.
- Badge of Honour
The candidate gains recognition in their organization by earning a CSM certification. It is a well-respected professional position which will help your organization and you gain a respected name in the industry.
What is the Salary for Certification? : PSM I vs PSM II vs PSM III
- The average salary for PSM I certification is $99,272.
- The average salary for PSM II certification is $100,244.
- The average salary for PSM III certification is $120,536.
PSM certification will undoubtedly benefit you in the long term. This will not only advance your career, but it will also make you stand out from the competition. Scrum has also evolved into one of agile’s most powerful frameworks. Numerous businesses, both small and large, are implementing agile methods and looking for employees that are proficient in professional Scrum master training.
1. Can I take PSM-II without PSM-I?
It is necessary to pass PSM-I before moving on to PSM-II. You must have successfully completed and passed the PSM-I assessment before proceeding to the PSM-II exam because the second Professional Scrum Master level relies on what is assessed at Level 1.
2. Does the PSM certificate expire?
The PSM certificate you receive after passing the exam is valid for life; there is no need to renew it.
3. Which is better: CSM or PSM?
Different levels of experience are needed for the PSM and CSM. While the CSM may assist both beginners and experienced Scrum masters in building skills essential to their roles, for more experienced Scrum masters, the PSM is more helpful. The PSM is therefore more sophisticated, especially if you follow PSM-II and PSM-III.
|Do the certification names have trademarks?
|If there is a mention of KH, is this in third person?
|Are sources cited wherever statistics are included?
|Is there a clear flow of content across the blog?
|Is there an introductory paragraph?
|Is there a closing paragraph?
|Are all headings in the title case?
|Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
|Is all the information provided accurate?